Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How to Make a Fake Fur Stole/Collar

It all started when I unwillingly ventured into a fabric sale with two friends I will never shop with again, far too dangerous. With 50% off everything we touched was gold. Bargains on every cardboard roll. But the best bargain of all was the indescribably soft and cuddle-able fake fur. Though $58 per metre would be way past my normal limit it had sunk down to $29 and for the project I had planned a half a metre would do just fine.

I've been obsessed with the fur collars I've seen around at the moment. It's a constant feature in BeautyCrush's OOTDs and makes regular appearances on pinterest, chictopia and other such time burning websites. Despite the fact that New Zealand is currently right in the middle of the summer months I decided to make one for myself as I'm about to head off to europe for two months and I'll need as much padding as I can carry! 

So here's how I fumbled my way through making my fake fur collar:

Materials:
1/2m of fake fur
1/2m of SATIN lining (I'll explain why satin is important later)
1/2m of calico for the pattern (or use paper - whatever works for you)
Fabric scissors or craft knife
Ruler (I mostly used mine as a fabric weight... I'm not one for accuracy)
Thread
Sewing Machine


Step One: First take your calico or paper and cut a sausage like shape semi diagonally. The degree of the angle depends on how much you want it to wrap around your neck. I was going for a cross between a stole and a collar so I made it less severe.
 

Step Two:  Take the cut out pattern and make sure it sits at the length you want it to. I wanted mine to be quite long and this is how it measured up on me below. If it's not quite right cut out a new one or adjust what you already have to suit - you don't want to start cutting out your more expensive materials until you know it's right with the cheap disposable stuff.




 Step Three: Before you start ANYTHING make sure you are prepared for the onslaught of furry crap about to happen. The fur will go EVERYWHERE. Mine is still shedding a bit around the edges. I made sure that I moved my project outside onto the veranda and away from any carpet or other material that might pick up the fur easily. I did forget about my own dress but a lint roller will clean that up - I hope.



Step Four: Anyway, once you've sorted out where to cut it's time to get cutting. Using the pattern you previously made cut out your fur and satin lining. For the fur it is a lot easier and tidier to use a craft knife. My craft knife was not strong enough unfortunately so I resorted to the scissor approach but this resulted in giving my fur a haircut despite going as carefully as I could. This didn't really show on the final product but I couldn't help thinking it might have been nicer.


Step Five: Now that you have your two pieces pin them right sides together (aka. the sides you want showing together). 

Now let me explain why you should use satin (or a non-stretch alternative): stretch fabric stretches. I know - mind blown. But I didn't think of this on my first attempt and was left un-stitching for hours on end trying not to pull all the fur out of my fabric. The fabric stretched as I was sewing and pulled the collar round so it was completely twisted by the time I was done. The next day I went out and bought some non-stretch satin. Much much smarter. So on my second attempt I was much more successful. 

I found it helpful to pin from the centre out just to make sure it was even on both sides.



Step Six: Now SEW! Make sure to leave one end open so you can pull it inside out. While moving around the sides make sure to tuck in the fur as you go. If you do miss a few pieces just pull them out on the other side later with a pin.



Step Seven: Now all you have to do is pull the right side out and sew up the open end! Et voila! The perfect winter furry scarf/stole/collar! Wasn't so hard now was it?!





Hope you enjoy your new accessory and that this tutorial was somehow helpful! Feel free to give me feedback and send photos your completed masterpieces to me at whatsheepdo@gmail.com

Good Luck!
What Sheep Do's Clare
 

No comments:

Post a Comment